Oct 13, 2011

Umami Burger

Umami: Taken from Japanese meaning savory. One of the five basic tastes (sweet, sour, salty, bitter).

The first thing I was told after having been welcomed into the flagship San Francisco spot was that Umami Burger proudly grounds their own meat every day, processes their own cheese, pickles their own vegetables, and that the word umami means savory. You should expect all of their burgers to be rich in flavor, juicy, and cooked medium-rare.

I first read about Umami Burger on one of my favorite blogs, Cupcakes and Cashmere, and haven't stopped hearing about it since (my LA-based friends can't help but gush over their obsession with it). So naturally, when a co-worker casually mentioned that he had just had lunch at the new restaurant, I -literally - ran over to check it out. I wasn't the only one who was excited to be there - a reporter from the SF Chronicle was there interviewing the staff and taking photos.

A much more professional photo than mine from the Umami Burger site.

Luckily, I had just missed the lunch rush, and was able to sit down at the bar immediately. I asked the bartender what the most popular burger was and he suggested either the Umami Burger or the Hatch Burger. I chose the Umami Burger since, hey, it's Umami Burger, with a Japanese Caprese Salad to start.


Japanese Caprese Salad

The salad consisted of baby heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh burrata with a mustardy-wasabi dressing. Yum! My burger had shiitake mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, caramelized onions, umami ketchup and a surprisingly delicious parmesan crisp. 




...And guess what? It definitely lived up to it's name. It was savory, juicy and delicious. I think I may have started a dangerous love affair. 

Have you been to Umami Burger? How do you feel about it?

~C

No comments:

Post a Comment